Sunday, November 8, 2009

The World Looks Mighty Good to Me...

IMG_6682

Oh, the world looks mighty good to me,
'Cause Mickey Mouse is all I see.
Whatever it is I think I see
It becomes a Mickey Mouse to me
Mickey Mouse, Mickey Mouse woohoo
Mickey Mouse I think I'm in love with you.
Whatever it is I think I see
It becomes a Mickey Mouse to me.

Ok, so perhaps I just went a bit overboard with repurposing the 1970's Tootsie Roll jingle. But it fit so well! It's true, I see Mickey's all over and if they don't exist for real, I make them. This is the wreath on my front door. I've attached three grapevine wreaths together and I change out the foliage throughout the year to correspond to the seasons. Christmas being the only exception... I made a Mickey head out of pine wreaths...

IMG_6683

For Fall, I have pumpkins on the grapevine wreath. And of course the pumpkins are Mickey's too! They were almost as simple as the new ornaments I concocted.

It starts with pumpkin garlands (Check your local craft stores right now, most of them are on sale 50%+). The ears are made from wooden circles. You just carve a little niche in each side the pumpkins with an xacto knife (btw, the xacto knife is one of the "must have tools" in my craft box).

Glue the ovals in the slots and paint to match the pumpkin. I had to completely repaint the pumpkins this year because they got rained on last year and faded pretty badly. I recommend coating with a sealer or mod podge. Seems to have solved the runny/faddy problems this year. I also added a little sparkle to them with glitter.

You can see that the grapevine sections are loose and wonky, it's about 7 or 8 years old and in need of a little maintenance itself. Perhaps I can repair or replace after the holidays this year when the pine version gives it a break!

Happy Holidays!

3 comments:

Jacynthe said...

That wreath is so cute!!!! You are a smart and creative cookie!!

Diane Rooney said...

Oh I love that you Americans dress up your doors with wreaths for the different seasons. I think I'm going to have to start doing that here (I live in England). Just beautiful. I recently bought a lovely book from a craft store for making different wreaths. You've inspired me! Thank you! Diane (friend of your mil, Dana) x

Shawn Mosch said...

I love it! I am a HUGE Mickey Mouse fan also . . . I think I have something Mickey in just about every room of my home.